Cancelled debt may constitute income that is subject to state and federal taxation.  Consult with a tax professional if you receive a 1099-C form. 

We have heard of these forms being sent out fifteen years after debt had been generated. If you don’t submit this form when you file your taxes, you run the risk of being audited.